Immigration Q+A For Tourist


Immigration Q+A For Tourist

At Bali Realty Holiday Villas, we welcome guests from all over the world so we thought it was well past time to provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions we are asked before our guests arrive. Read on to discover the ins and outs of the visa laws when visiting Bali.

Can i get free visa ?

In the last couple of years, Bali holidays have become more accessible than ever with the introduction of a new tourism scheme where citizens from over 169 countries are no longer charged the USD 35 fee for entry at Denpasar airport.

We’re happy to report that if you’re a citizen of the following countries and planning on staying in Bali for less than 30 days, then you’re in luck under the new scheme.

    What are the other entry requirements?

  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months with at least two blank visa pages ready for stamping as you come through immigration at Denpasar airport.
  • You must hold proof of onward and return flights from the island. If you need a visa for your next destination, it pays to have that organised as it will likely be checked as you exit the country.
  • You must hold proof of sufficient funds relative to your intended length of stay. This isn’t often checked but is listed on the official immigration website of Indonesia, so it pays to be safe and have an ATM print-out on hand.

What if you have a temporary passport ?

If for some reason you are in possession of an emergency passport then you won’t qualify for the free entry visa and should apply for your visa before you get to Bali. You can do this through the Indonesian embassy in your country before you leave. Be aware that the embassies of Indonesia celebrate Muslim holidays such as Ramadan so make sure you apply with enough time to receive the documents in case of any upcoming embassy holiday closures.

What if your country is not on the list ?

If your country is not one of the 169 on the free visa list, you will need to apply for a tourist visa at your embassy before you leave your country or outside of Indonesia in a place like Singapore or Malaysia.

What if you want to stay longer than 30 days ?

If part way through your holiday you decide you want to stay longer than 30 days than be aware that the free visa can’t be extended or changed in any form. This means you will have to fly out and then back in.

The best way to stay longer than 30 days is to purchase a VoA sticker for $35USD as you come through Denpasar on your first arrival. This type of visa can be extended at a local immigration office if you decide you want to extend your trip.

What if you overstay your visa by mistake ?

It pays to remember that your day of entry and your day of exit are counted as part of the 30 days you are allowed to stay in Bali. This is true under the free visa scheme and also under the VoA option. If you overstay your visa by mistake, you will be pulled aside as you try to leave Bali and fined. The cost per day is approximately $70USD, so it’s worth checking your dates carefully. Repeat offenders have been known to face jail time.

While you’re on the island

The official word is that you should always carry your passport with its visa stamp on you as you travel throughout Bali. However, we recommend making a photocopy or taking photos of these relevant documents and storing them in the safe in your villa instead.

While travellers have been detained for questioning for not having their passports with them, digital copies of the documents should be sufficient and will reduce the risk of losing the originals. Luckily almost every villa we offer has a safe where you can store these valuables.

To sum things up…

If your passport and other travel documents are in order, then there are three ways to enter Bali. The first is the free option mentioned above.

  • Visa Exemption:

    This is a no-fee stamp placed in your passport upon arrival for tourists of 169 countries planning on staying less than 30 days. Remember, no extensions are allowed.

  • Visa-on-Arrival:

    This is a USD 35 visa issued upon arrival valid for up to 30 days for tourism, family visitation, and other purposes. You may extend a Visa-on-Arrival one time for a maximum of 30 additional days, for another USD 35.

  • Visa in Advance:

    For travel that will last for more than 30 days or travel for non-tourism purposes, including business, employment and journalism you will need to apply for a visa in advance before you leave your country. You can find details on that here.

We make Bali feel like home

Bali Realty Holiday Villas has a vast selection of villas that will make you feel at home on our little island. We manage some of the best properties in Bali and feel proud to offer you such a wide selection to choose from. Check out some of our favorite properties here and enjoy your holiday!

15 July 2019

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.


Get exclusive offers straight to your inbox: